Monday 23 March 2009

Statement

I want to learn about the world we live in and the physical things that we are surrounded by. Through playing and exploration I am constantly developing an understanding for the mediums I use, and engaging with the world around me on a physical and instinctual level. The materials are from the world, and I want to discover and display their limitations and possibilities. The materials are my only starting point, and working through their processes I make forms that explore these physical properties. Stretching, tension, weight and length are a constant theme that uses the height of the architectural space, hanging from the ceiling, drawing attention to the environment that the viewer and the form share. During the making I am in a reality where my concentration is fully absorbed by materials. The objects take form through an intuitive engagement that almost becomes an extension of myself, or my ‘offspring‘. The obsessive repetition involved in the procedures inevitably forms a strong relationship between myself and the work. They are tactile, concrete forms, and I want them to exist on their own, referencing nothing other than themselves. I see them as individual characters, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

No comments: